How I wish that this DIY Kit existed when I was younger!
This would have saved me from the long path it took me to find out that you don't need to go to a certain school in order to call yourself a jewelry designer and maker. That you don't need to know about soldering and metal melting points, alloys and more before making your own dream ring in actual (precious) metal.
Can it really be this simple? Yes, it can!
And you can even do it while you are on holiday, with your feet up on the camping, in front of your tent. Or while everybody else is going on that hike and you stay behind in the cabin literally carving out time for yourself, to make something in the buzz or the silence of your surroundings. Or just at home, in the quiet evenings when the kids have gone to bed.
This project can be picked up any time, and does not need to be finished abruptly. The techniques are all explained in the booklet that comes with the Kit, it shows you exactly what needs to be done. It is absolutely doable by anybody, and there are no limitations in what you can carve, cut, make.
The DIY Wax Carving Kit includes all the materials, tools and instructions to design and create your ring from jewellers wax using the ancient technique called ‘Lost Wax Casting’. You make the design and do the carving. The casting is done by a professional, and so is the finishing of your dream ring. Your ring will look exactly the same as your wax ring after casting and finishing!
Be aware, because this might just be the start of a new hobby or maybe even a career!
I just wanted to let you know what is included in the Kit (which is currently only in Dutch - an EN version is in the making)
- 2 blue wax rings (8mm wide) made to size S, M, L, XL or your perfect size. One of the wax rings is for practice and one is for casting.
- Wax file with flat and round surface, to shape and fine your ring
- Scalpel cutter, to model your wax
- Thumb protector
- Ring sizer (to measure your ring size)
- 3 kinds of sanding paper, to smooth your ring surface
- 2 kinds of lolly pop sticks, for easy sanding
- Tin can to safely return your wax ring to be casted
- Return form to specify your ring size, metal, finish and delivery destination
- Description booklet to guide you through the process of carving your wax ring
- Sketch paper to visualise your design
- Shipping the final ring to you beautifully wrapped
Before getting one of these DIY Kits make sure to read the DIY Kit page for more information and how it works. Here you will find answers to the most common questions, like which size you would need, how it works, how long it takes, metal options for casting etc.
For even more information you can also read the FAQ page.